Moving beyond the transition to ICD-10, the new edition focuses on the key role proper documentation plays in supporting medical necessity.
Identify Detailed Documentation Requirements for ICD-10-CM Optimized Coding
The ICD-10-CM documentation requirements are essential to ICD-10-CM compliance. This collection of ICD-10-CM best practices provides ICD-10-CM analysis tools to assist in ICD-10-CM documentation improvement.
New focus for the 2017 edition: Now that the transition is complete, the new edition of ICD-10-CM Documentation emphasizes the key role proper documentation plays in supporting medical necessity.
- Updated codes! Content updates reflect the 2017 ICD-10 addendum
- A basic comparison of the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM code sets and the organization of each, along with a discussion of includes and excludes notes
- A general overview of documentation requirements
- The official ICD-10-CM guidelines
- The requirements for specific conditions, diseases and disorders
- End-of-chapter quizzes to test the readers retention and understanding of the content
Information to Help Comply with ICD-10-CM Documentation Requirements
ICD-10-CM documentation requirements are more detailed for assignment of the most specific diagnosis code(s). ICD-10-CM Documentation identifies these ICD-10-CM guidelines and provides tools for effective ICD-10-CM documentation improvement along with a corrective action plan. Other highlights include:
- Simple identification of diagnoses/conditions requiring additional documentation
- Comprehensive review of the ICD-9-CM chapters with the corresponding ICD-10-CM chapters requiring additional documentation
- Discussion of the relevant ICD-10-CM guidelines for coding and coding notes
- ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM comparison of code categories and subcategories to identify specific documentation elements, like specific site or body part descriptions
- Comparison table provides a comparison of ICD-9-CM codes and the applicable ICD-10-CM codes for the same condition
- General and specialty-specific checklists help to identify opportunities for ICD-10-CM documentation improvement
- Chapter quizzes tests knowledge and retention of the important information