ICD-10-CM Documentation 2014: A How-to Guide for Coders, Physicians, and Healthcare Facilities identifies the more detailed ICD-10-CM documentation requirements and information vital to a successful transition to ICD-10-CM compliance. This collection of best practices provides tools for an effective documentation analysis along with a corrective action plan.
Professionals rely on this publication to guide them through successful ICD-10-CM documentation improvement.
Identify Detailed Documentation Requirements for a Successful Transition to ICD-10-CM Compliance
The ICD-10-CM documentation requirements are essential to ICD-10-CM compliance. This collection of ICD-10-CM best practices provides ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM comparison and ICD-10-CM analysis tools to assist in ICD-10-CM documentation improvement.
The 2014 edition features updated approaches and tools to provide ICD-10-CM documentation improvement. Following the ICD-9-CM codebook, each chapter contains:
- A basic comparison of the ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM code sets and the organization of each, along with a discussion of includes and excludes notes
- A general overview of documentation requirements
- The official ICD-10-CM guidelines
- The requirements for specific conditions, diseases and disorders
- End-of-chapter quizzes to test the readers retention and understanding of the content
New Information to Assist in the Compliance of ICD-10-CM Documentation Requirements
ICD-10-CM documentation requirements are more detailed for assignment of the most specific diagnosis code(s). ICD-10-CM Documentation identifies these ICD-10-CM guidelines and provides tools for effective ICD-10-CM documentation improvement along with a corrective action plan. Other highlights include:
- Simple identification of diagnoses/conditions requiring additional documentation
- Comprehensive review of the ICD-9-CM chapters with the corresponding ICD-10-CM chapters requiring additional documentation
- Discussion of the relevant ICD-10-CM guidelines for coding and coding notes
- ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM comparison of code categories and subcategories to identify specific documentation elements, like specific site or body part descriptions
- Comparison table provides a comparison of ICD-9-CM codes and the applicable ICD-10-CM codes for the same condition
- General and specialty-specific checklists help to identify opportunities for ICD-10-CM documentation improvement
- Chapter quizzes tests knowledge and retention of the important information