Since 1964, beginning with a reproduction of Jan van Eycke's St Jerome in His Study, the front cover of JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association has featured full-color images of renowned works of fine art as well as many lesser-known gems.
Hundreds of artists including Vincent van Gogh, Claude Monet, Winslow Homer and Mary Cassatt have graced the covers of this eminent medical journal. For four decades, Dr. M. Therese Southgate, JAMA senior contributing editor, has selected these images and written accompanying essays.
- More than 100 covers
- Paintings displayed in two-page spreads, with Dr. Southgate's essay on the facing page
- Lavishly illustrated and exquisitely designed
- Printed on high quality paper
The Art of JAMA is a beautiful book that is a perfect graduation present from medical school and an excellent gift for physicians, other health care professionals, art historians, and anyone interested in art and medicine.
Each of Dr. Southgate's essays feature:
- The artist's background
- The circumstances under which the work was completed
- Astute commentary on the work itself
Featured artists include the following:
- Marc Chagall
- Leonardo da Vinci
- James Ensor
- Paul Gauguin
- Frida Kahlo
- Rene Magritte
- Edouard Manet
- Edvard Munch
- Georgia O'Keeffe
- Rembrandt van Rijn
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
- Vincent van Gogh